Q: How do I get my L's?

A: You need to be at least 16 years old, to obtain a Learner licence. Firstly, you will need to get a copy of the Road users' Handbook (either from your local RMS or from their website) and read and study all of it!

Once you are confident that you understand the contents of the Road User Handbook, you can then attempt some practice tests online through the RTA website. These questions are similar to those in the Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) that you will need to pass to obtain the L's licence.

Once you are confident that you can pass the DKT you can book a test time for the DKT. Test is conducted at the RMS and can be booked by phone or via the internet. When you attend for the DKT you will need to have completed the form to obtain the licence and also provide proof of identity. (The details of this are on the form).

After completing the DKT you will be advised if you have passed or failed. If you pass, you will then have your eyesight tested and your photograph taken. You will then need to pay the fee for the Learners Licence and wait a few minutes for the licence to be prepared for you. You will be given a Learner Log Book, some L plates, and your new licence before leaving the RTA.

Q: What are the main rules for Learner Drivers?


  •   Must be supervised at all times by the holder of a full Australian drivers Licence.
  •   Have L plates displayed conspicuously on front and rear of car (or on roof if with BTW).
  •   Maximum speed limit of 90km/h.
  •   Not tow another vehicle.
  •   Not exceed zero blood alcohol concentration.
  •   Not supervise another Learner driver.
  •   Only carry the number of passengers that can be properly seated in seats and with seat belts.
  •   Only drive a vehicle that has a seat belt fitted to driver seat and you must wear the seat belt.
  •   Not drive with any passengers in or on the boot of the vehicle.

Q: What forms do I need to have for my driving instructor to qualify me for the 3 hours = 1 hour lessons?

A: Your BTW driving instructor will have 3 forms plus your normal Logbook to complete.

The first form is the "Structured Lesson Planner". This form is completed to advise of the lesson content, topics etc that have been delivered in the lesson.

The second form is the "Structured Lesson Record Keeper". This form is completed by the driving instructor and should then be stapled into your Log book on Page 111 or with new Log Books it is included towards the back of the Log Book. This form is a record of the lesson and the driving instructor details required by the RMS.

The third form is the BTW Client Record Sheet. This form plots your progress through your driving instruction over the course of your training. This form will assist the learner driver to understand the areas that require development and will also assist the usual supervising driver when teaching the learner.

Q: Can I claim for 3 hours night time driving under the scheme?

A: Only if BTW have supervised the student for 3 hours at night. If a 1 hour lesson has been conducted, it will be recorded as 1 hour of night time driving and 2 hours of daylight driving. This means that to complete 20 hours of night time driving, you will need to complete the full 20 hours in night time.

Q: What if I have already have had 10 lessons with a driving school earlier?

A: Of course you can still have further lessons, but they will only be recorded as 1 hour = 1 hour lessons, and cannot be claimed under the 3 for 1 scheme.

Q: What if I am 25 years old? Have the Learner rules changed for 25 and overs?

A: Yes, if you are 25 or over you will not need to complete the hours or the Log Book to be able to sit the Provisional Licence test.

Q: When will I be ready to attempt the P's test?

A: This will depend on a lot of variables, but as a minimum you will have to have completed at least 120 hours of driving in your Logbook, (of which 20 hours must be of night time driving), you must have held the Learner licence for a minimum of 12 months, and you must be at least 17 years of age.

Once you have qualified, you then need to ask yourself the question, "Am I ready to hold a P's licence?" If you feel you have had a wide experience in a variety of different roads, traffic conditions etc, that you have had a long experience of completing thousands of correct repetitions of your driving actions, and that you are already able to feel when driving, reflecting on your mistakes and able to correct them, then you will be well on your way to being unsupervised as a P plate driver. If you are unsure if you are ready then it is best to have a professional lesson, who will assist you to make that transition from Learner to Provisional Driver.

Q: I think I am ready for the P's test. What do I do now?

A: You can book the test online through the RMS, or in person at the Service NSW Offices across NSW, or by phone on 132213. You then have to decide which vehicle you will be using for the test. If you have had lessons with BTW it is advised that you use the BTW vehicle for the test. Whichever vehicle you intend to use, you will need to confirm with either BTW or the vehicle owner that it is available on the day of the test, that is registered and insured, and is in a roadworthy condition for you to take the test in.

Q: What do I do on the day of the P's test?

You will need to check the vehicle that will be used for the test. Make sure that all lights are in working order, that the car and windows are clean, the tyres have the correct pressure, that the vehicle is currently registered and insured, and that you have enough petrol for the test.

It is best to arrive a little early for the test, as if you are late you may miss out on your test altogether and will need to rebook for another date.We would suggest that you arrive approximately 15 minutes before the test, with all paperwork, log book, identification completed, and payment for the licence ready.

Most service NSW Offices have a particular place for you to park your vehicle for the test, so if you are not sure where this is, please make enquiries before the day to familiarise yourself with the parking area.

Q: If I pass what will happen then?

A: If you pass you will have another photograph taken and will then pay for the new Provisional Licence. You will also be given P plates for your car. You will be issued a paper licence and will have your Learner Licence returned to you. You must keep both of these together until your new Provisional Photo card licence arrives by mail. This will take approximately 7 - 14 days to arrive.

Q: What if I fail?

A: If you fail the test, the examiner will explain to you the areas that caused the failure. You will then need to book another test when you feel that you are ready to attempt the test again. If you are having lessons with BTW, we will then target those areas of deficiency in any further lessons, to prepare you for the next test date.

Q: So what are the different rules, now I have my Provisional licence?

A: Ok, so now you have a few more rules to remember. Make sure you know these, as if not you could lose your licence.

  •   P Plates need to be displayed conspicuously on front and rear of vehicle. (Not inside the window). If driving with a trailer you will also need a P plate for the back of the trailer.
  •   Any speeding offence will result in at least a 3 month suspension of your licence, a fine, and loss of 4 demerit points.
  •   You are banned from using a mobile phone, even those with bluetooth or hands free sets, or mobiles set to speaker.
  •   You can only carry 1 passenger under the age of 21, between 11pm and 5am. (Some exemptions do apply).
  •   Not to exceed zero blood alcohol concentration.
  •   Maximum speed of 100km/h.
  •   Only tow light trailers up to 250kg uploaded weight.
  •   Must not accumulate more than 3 demerit points.
  •   Restricted to driving an automatic car if licence was attempted in an automatic car.
  •   Not supervise a learner driver.
  •   Not to upgrade the licence to a higher class.
  •   Only drive a vehicle with a seat belt fitted to the driver seat and you must wear the seat belt.
  •   Only carry the number of passengers that can be properly seated in seats and wear a selt belt.
  •   Not drive with passengers in or on the boot.
Back to Top